This past year has been one of tremendous growth for me, and with that I would like to share what I’ve learned with others. For the past year I’ve had this blog sitting around on WordPress collecting dust. But one of the ways I plan to begin living my best life is by finally publishing this. Last year for my 21st birthday I had an epiphany that it was time to live life with less restraints and be more carefree. If you know me personally then you know I’ve lived by this. So anyways, this blog post is the beginning of many in my 21 Series of Blog Posts. Enjoy.
1. Smile more. According to studies smiling holds a plethora of benefits from health improvements to social ones. Here are some more reasons why.2. Pray/meditate more, worry less. Just like smiling, prayer and mediation has also been found to be rather beneficial towards one’s immune system, overall health and peace of mind.3. Keep calm and party on. All things in moderation.
4. Forgive yourself and others. Instead of holding onto a grudge against others or past pain against yourself, learn to let go of these things in order to move forward in life.
5. Give people the benefit of the doubt BUT do not trust immediately. Trust is something that should be earned not instantly given away.
6. Cry more, stress less.
Don’t get me wrong, this doesn’t mean have a nervous breakdown at every twist and turn of life. BUT, you shouldn’t hold everything in. If you feel a certain way about a particular issue, express that whether it be through writing or telling others. Or better yet cry it out! Crying is a rather cathartic way of letting out your pain. So grab some tissues, turn on Lifetime, settle under your comforter with your snack of choice and turn on the waterworks! It’s your pity party, you can bawl if you want to. Yup you guessed it, here’s a song for that.
7. Lean on others. This can be a bit difficult, especially when you’re like me and think that you don’t need others to stay strong. But that’s a lie! (See #8 for more info.) But like the song says “Lean on me, when you’re not strong…”
8. Accept the fact that, it is okay not to be okay. That is what friends, family, and the rest of the world are here for. I’ve personally made the biggest mistake throughout my life by holding back a lot of emotion. It has come to the point where sometimes I almost feel incapable of expressing myself but I am learning more everyday to let that part of me grow into a more expressive side.
9. Ask questions!
10. Don’t be intimidated.
11. Express yourself! Do not allow yourself to be bombarded with secret pain. If someone makes you feel a certain way, in the moment let your feelings be known.
12. Fake it till you make it.
13. Find your niche.
14. Discover your talents. I’ve heard people say that they don’t have a talent or aren’t good at anything. Well perhaps this is true and you aren’t a natural at singing, or drawing. That is okay! This is why the internet is such a great source. You can learn nearly everything you need right on YouTube.
15. Watch back to back episodes on Netflix shamelessly. Forget Netflix and chill with some airhead of a guy or gal who only wants one thing. Netflix and chill with yourself! No pressure there whatsoever.
16. Wear that bathing suit! Stop allowing society’s standards to prevent you from wearing what you want to. Of course it’s important to get clothes in your actual size (No one, and I mean no one looks good in clothes that choke your body lol). BUT you better rock that outfit girl.
17. Just do you! Do that one thing you’ve always wanted to. Trust me, it’s worth it. Check out India Arie’s hit song “Just Do You,” which pretty much sums up my thoughts on living out your dreams and being yourself.
18. Stop fearing failure. There are so many successful people today who will tell that they’ve heard the word “no,” more than they’ve heard “yes.” But you know the difference these successful people made, they did not allow those rejections to define who they wanted to become. As a matter of fact the key to success is turning every no into a yes for yourself. That does not mean to squeeze yourself into a space in which you know God has not destined for you or the universe has not called you into. What this means is that you have found your niche, or life’s person and you are willing to sacrifice as much as possible to fit into your predestined mold. You are a puzzle piece and your life’s purpose is the puzzle game at large.
19. Drink more water! Yup, that’s about it…just fill up on that H20.
20. Moisturize…daily. Your skin will thank you later.
21. Take care of yourself. Whether this means meditating, exercising, practicing your craft, or doing yoga. Find your happy space and go there when need be. I cannot express this enough, self care is imperative. Do not bite off more than you can chew and recognize when you need to take a break from the world. Remember that self-care is not equivalent to one being selfish. Rather, self-care is equivalent to self love.